[phenixbb] polygon and membrane proteins

Patrick Loll pat.loll at drexel.edu
Tue Apr 6 14:20:29 PDT 2010

I don't know how easy this would be to do, but...

Steve White maintains a nice up-to-date database of membrane proteins
of known structure (http://blanco.biomol.uci.edu/Membrane_Proteins_xtal.html
). Since he has tabulated all of the PDB IDs, it should be trivial for
him to supply just a list of the four-letter codes, which could be
used as a filter.

Pat

On 6 Apr 2010, at 5:08 PM, Pavel Afonine wrote:

> Hi Pascal,
>
> what are the selection criteria that can be used to identify those
> structures in PDB? Any specif keywords in PDB file header? Can it be
> done (such a selection) in a robust way (with minimum guesses and
> resulting errors)?
>
> If you can formulate these selection criteria, then I will be able
> to add it to a future version.
>
> Pavel.
>

> On 4/6/10 1:30 PM, Pascal Egea wrote:
>>
>> Dear Developers,
>>
>> I wonder if there would be a simple way to get the Polygon program
>> implemented in Phenix to use only membrane protein deposited
>> structures as the reference data set. I understand that the
>> reference set is much smaller than the whole menagerie of available
>> structures but it represents an homogenous class of protein
>> (crystallized in detergent).
>> Do you think that this would be meaningful and useful?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>

>> --
>> Pascal F. Egea, PhD
>> Assistant Professor
>> UCLA, David Geffen School of Medicine
>> Department of Biological Chemistry
>> 314 Biomedical Sciences Research Building
>> office (310)-983-3515
>> lab (310)-983-3516
>> email pegea at mednet.ucla.edu

Patrick J. Loll, Ph. D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Director, Biochemistry Graduate Program
Drexel University College of Medicine
Room 10-102 New College Building
245 N. 15th St., Mailstop 497