[phenixbb] Does PHENIX exclude Rfree reflections in maps?

Thomas C. Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Wed Sep 30 17:32:13 PDT 2009

Hi Pavel and Joe,

I'm glad you put that option in, Pavel.  However for model-building it is
not so straightforward. Normally we are building into density-modified
maps. Density modification works poorly when a significant set of
reflections is excluded, so this becomes impractical. We could exclude
those reflections in the map only, but they will have been used in density
modification so they are no longer truly free.  I don't have a good
solution for that.

I am guessing that for model-building, the free R is hardly affected,
compared to refinement against the map, though I haven't tested this.

All the best,
Tom T