[phenixbb] Does PHENIX exclude Rfree reflections in maps?

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Wed Sep 30 14:29:00 PDT 2009

Hi Joe, hi Tom,

until recently, all reflections (work and test) were used in map
calculation. When I added a real-space refinement option to
phenix.refine I spent a day thinking hard about why Rfree was almost
always equal to Rwork after real-space refinement, until I realized that
I have to exclude test reflections from map calculation, and that fixed
the problem.

I think it depends on the task:

- for things like real-space refinement (where the map is heavily used)
or automated model building, the test reflections have to be excluded
from map calculation;

- for catching a tiny detail (looking at weak ligand density = slight
map use) or fixing a few side chains, all reflections should be used,
since 10% of data put aside may sometime significantly affect map quality.

Pavel.