[phenixbb] Various problems with phenix.refine

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at cci.lbl.gov
Thu Sep 24 16:26:12 PDT 2009

> If the .def file has a syntax error, phenix.refine dies with an error
> that the file format is not recognized. Why not print syntax errors?

It is a side-effect of automatically recognizing all file formats. We
give up only after trying each and every possible reader. If nothing
works, we don't have a mechanism to score what the file is most likely
and then produce the format-specific error. Solving that problem is
harder than it may seem at first sight.
You can get the syntax error via

iotbx.phil your.def

Ralf