[phenixbb] supported compilers for source builds

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at cci.lbl.gov
Tue Sep 22 15:10:03 PDT 2009

Hi Ben,

> Interesting.  I think I have my 9.1 tarballs around somewhere.  Is this
> true for both linux and OS X?

Yes.

> Also, what do you use as a baseline for benchmarking?  One of the
> phenix.run_example options?

We don't have systematic benchmarks. (Every once in a while we optimize
specific (new) algorithms and then move on.)
ifort generates much faster executables than gfortran (factor 3-5),
but in large part this is because the libc expf is almost amazingly
20 times slower than Intel's, as we found out recently.
Intel C++ is hardly faster (except g++ suffers from the same expf
problem, which we don't use much from C++).

Ralf