[phenixbb] supported compilers for source builds

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at cci.lbl.gov
Tue Sep 22 09:46:53 PDT 2009

Hi Ben,

> For compiling PHENIX from source, what are the supported compilers?
> Are the Intel or Portland compilers supported?
>
> There are notes in the list archives about using OpenMP with gcc, and hints
> that the Intel compiler is supported, but I didn't see any docs on building
> with icc/ifort.
>
> In one email Ralf mentions that you might actually lose performance
> compiling your own version of Solve/Resolve because gfortran optimizes
> poorly, which leads me to think that the distributed binaries are using
> ifort for at least the Solve/Resolve bits.
>
> Did I overlook some notes on how to do this?

If you have ifort 9.1 on path when you run the phenix "install" command
your build will be as efficient as the one we make.

Newer ifort versions are not supported due to difficulties linking
with the C++ runtime (the latest CCP4 libs used by solve/resolve
employ the mmdb C++ code even if used from Fortran).

The "install" command doesn't support Intel C++ (although it is
supported by the lower-level build system; for C++ the runtime
differences are small).

Ralf