[phenixbb] Phaser and anisotropy question

Randy Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 10 05:31:09 PDT 2009

Hi,

Yes, the data used in the Phaser map coefficients have been rescaled
to remove the anisotropy, so the map should look more isotropic than
the one you get from running SIGMAA.  But note that neither program
does a proper bulk solvent correction.

Until recently (e.g. in version 2.1.4 of Phaser), the rescaling was
done so that the overall average falloff of diffraction was preserved,
i.e. the weakest direction was scaled up and the strongest direction
was scaled down.  However, we were inspired by a paper from Mike
Sawaya to look at this again.  He showed some convincing results that
the maps are more interpretable if the weak data are all scaled up to
the falloff of the strongest direction, and the tests we did agreed
with this.  So that is the behaviour you'll get in recent nightly
builds.  This agrees with your worry that the scaling could diminish
the strongest reflections too much, as happened in the older versions
of Phaser.

I hope that helps!

Regards,

Randy Read