[phenixbb] Very poor density, but very important loops

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Fri Oct 23 13:14:48 PDT 2009

Hi Andrew,

we (Lester and myself) recently implemented a new tool in PHENIX called
phenix.grow_density.
It is based on the idea published a while ago:

Acta Cryst. (1997). D53, 540-543
Local Improvement of Electron-Density Maps
A. G. Urzhumtsev

We are currently looking for tests cases for this procedure, and I guess
your case is just perfect for it!

The phenix.grow_density tool is not at that level of automation so you
can take it, run it and get the answer, but rather it would require some
back-and-forth trials.

So, if you would like to give it a try, here is what I suggest:

- you send me the data and model and tell what are the loops you would
like to improve (of course all data will be kept confidentially);
- I run it through phenix.grow_density and hopefully (no promises, we
are testing it!) give you back improved maps that you can use to build
in your poor loops.
- We may need to go through a few iterations of this (or may not if it
doesn't work from the start).

I will be in travel next week, so if you decide to send the data, I
can't promise that I work on it immediately, but I (or Lester) will try.

Please let me know what you think.

Of course, you can try computing kick maps as well to see if it improves
the maps too.

Pavel.