[phenixbb] AutoMR and capsids

Randy J. Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 22 11:06:44 PDT 2009

Dear Katherine,

If you're sure that there are 3 full copies (and that you couldn't, say,
have six half-copies sitting on crystallographic 2-folds), the best would
be to search for full capsids. Now, for each copy there are 60 different
ways that the capsid could be oriented, but the version of Phaser
distributed with the latest Phenix release should recognize the internal
symmetry -- let us know if it doesn't!

If it turns out that a capsid is sitting on a symmetry axis, Phaser will
probably reject it because of an outrageous number of clashes. In that
case, you should turn off the clash test, just look for one copy, and then
examine the overlapped solution to see which part of the capsid is
crystallographically unique.

Good luck!

Randy Read