[phenixbb] Does PHENIX exclude Rfree reflections in maps?

Thomas C. Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Mon Oct 12 10:01:58 PDT 2009

Hi Pavel and Joe,

I carried out a test to see if (1) excluding a super-free set completely
from automated structure solution affects the results and (2) if the
super-free R that results is different from the standard free R obtained
with all data and excluding the free set only from refinement.

Here are the results:

A = structure

B, C and D are for the run with a super-free set excluded from all
calculations.  B and C are work and free R for the reflections included in
the calculation. D is the R for the super-free set.

E and F are work and free R for the same datasets, run in the same way,
but without any super-free set.

   A                  B       C         D                      E         F
                   ---super-free-run----      --standard run--
 structure        work free  super-free     work  free
 1029B           0.31 0.38   0.41          0.29    0.36
 1038B           0.22 0.26   0.26          0.24    0.28
 1071B           0.28 0.33   0.35          0.26    0.30
 rab3a-sad       0.31 0.35   0.38          0.29    0.34
 rnase-p         0.28 0.32   0.31          0.28    0.29
 calmodulin      0.26 0.27   0.27          0.27    0.29
 cobd-sad        0.24 0.26   0.26          0.24    0.28
 insulin         0.27 0.30   0.29          0.25    0.26
 nsf-n           0.23 0.26   0.26          0.21    0.24
 ut-synthase     0.24 0.29   0.28          0.24    0.28

 mean            0.26 0.30   0.31          0.26    0.29

Conclusions:
(1) super-free is very nearly the same as free in the matched set.
(2) leaving out super-free data does not make a lot of difference in these
actual cases. (Perhaps it might in worse data sets)
(3) so it would be ok to take out super-free set, but it is not necessary.

All the best,
Tom T