[phenixbb] FreeR set reduced by half in twin crystal refinement?

Peter Zwart phzwart at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 12:43:33 PDT 2009

Hi,

a free set in phenix.refine is choosen such that

- you have at least n% of free flags, but not more then 2000+epsilon
(typically)
- it follows any possible twin law (not user specified, it follows symmetry
of the lattice)

the ccp4 suite doesn't follow the same rules, so you will
- have more free flags
- have twin related reflections in your mixed between the test and work set.
This reduces the rfree greatly and should be avoided.

2009/10/7 lauren <lauren at gate.sinica.edu.tw>

>  Hi everyone,
>

> I have a P31 twin crystal, resolution 2.0, and with twin fraction 0.451. I
> use phenix.refine to refine the structure and with freeR set to 8%.
>

> % phenix.refine data.sca model.pdb twin_law="h,-h-k,-l" xray_data.r_free_flags.generate=True xray_data.r_free_flags.fraction=0.08
>

> Result:
>
> Final: r_work = 0.1793 r_free = 0.2258 bonds = 0.011 angles = 1.557
>
> REMARK   3   FREE R VALUE                     : 0.2258
>
> REMARK   3   FREE R VALUE TEST SET SIZE   (%) : 3.67
>
> REMARK   3   FREE R VALUE TEST SET COUNT      : 2013
>

> After the refinement, it seems like my freeR set size reduced by half
> (3.67%). Is it due to the twin effect, or something is wrong with my
> refinement?
>

> And if I use ccp4 program “scalpeak2mtz “ to convert the .sca to .mtz and
> with freeR fraction set to 8%. Then refine it with phenix.
>

> % phenix.refine data.mtz model.pdb twin_law="h,-h-k,-l"
>

> Final: r_work = 0.1669 r_free = 0.1970 bonds = 0.010 angles = 1.406
>
> REMARK   3   FREE R VALUE                     : 0.2022
>
> REMARK   3   FREE R VALUE TEST SET SIZE   (%) : 7.80
>
> REMARK   3   FREE R VALUE TEST SET COUNT      : 4326
>

> It turns out, my test set is still 8%, and R/Rfree looks even better than
> the first one. So I am wondering which one is the correct one and why?
>

> Thanks!
>

> Lauren

P.H. Zwart
Beamline Scientist
Berkeley Center for Structural Biology
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratories
1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA-94703, USA
Cell: 510 289 9246
BCSB:     http://bcsb.als.lbl.gov
PHENIX: http://www.phenix-online.org
CCTBX:  http://cctbx.sf.net