[phenixbb] multi-xtal averaging vs twinning

Tom Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Fri Jun 26 08:08:55 PDT 2009

Hi Francis,

I think multi-crystal averaging is going to be useful only if the
crystals are completely different or the amplitudes are nearly
uncorrelated.  In cases where there are only small changes the
averaging procedure has almost nothing different in the two structures
to work with and it won't do much.  Another way to say this is that
multi-crystal averaging works because two or more very different ways
of sampling the Fourier transform of the molecule are occurring, and
each must be consistent with the corresponding measured data.  If the
molecules are nearly the same and the measured data are nearly the
same in all cases, then there are few constraints on the phases.

Yes, experimental phases can be included in multi-crystal averaging,
just as for NCS averaging. And yes, experimental phases are most
helpful.

If some regions are different in the different crystals, then the
masking procedure needs to be adjusted to exclude the variable regions
from the averaging process.

Perhaps someone else can suggest a good paper to read on this. Kevin
Cowtan's paper on dmmulti is listed on his program documentation as:
K. Cowtan (1998) Joint CCP4 and ESF-ECBM Newsletter on Protein
Crystallography, 31, p34-38.

All the best,
Tom T