[phenixbb] sigma cutoff

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Fri Jul 24 11:44:54 PDT 2009

> Hi,
>
> According to the Phenix manual, phenix.refine uses no sigma cutoff by
> default. Since I haven't changed this manually, why do I see in my pdb
> file  MIN(FOBS/SIGMA_FOBS) 1.340?
>
> Thanks for help,
> Karolina

This one I can answer because I asked myself the same question recently.

The answer is that Phenix does not impose any sigma cutoff, but rather
your data are such that the minimum value of Fobs/Sigma_Fobs is 1.34 .

You can verify this for yourself by going through your reflection file,
line by line, and calculating Fobs/Sigma_Fobs for each reflection. You
will find that all your reflections have a Fobs/Sigma_Fobs larger or
equal to 1.34 . So it has nothing to with phenix; phenix just reports a
property of your data.

An easier way than doing it "manually" is using CCP4 sftools for
calculating a new column "ratio", writing out the resulting MTZ file,
and looking at this with mtzdmp.

HTH,

Kay
--