[phenixbb] new gui on osx (10.5)

Miguel Ortiz Lombardia miguel.ortiz-lombardia at afmb.univ-mrs.fr
Fri Jul 24 07:45:10 PDT 2009

Dear all,

We would like to run the new phenix GUIs from a remote computer. Both
server and clients are OSX 10.5 (leopard) and they have the same
versions of software (X11, python, phenix... all them pretty new
versions) When trying to do so, we invariably get this error:

This program needs access to the screen.
Please run with 'pythonw', not 'python', and only when you are logged
in on the main display of your Mac.

I have searched the internet for similar problems and I found an old
(one year) unresolved question on the same/similar issue:

http://www.phenix-online.org/pipermail/phenixbb/2008-July/001129.html

In our case, the /usr/local directory is not mounted over the NFS, it
is local. As in that case, though, changing the LIBTBX_PYEXE_BASENAME
to pythonw (for example in the phenix.autosol_gui wrapper) did not
solve the issue. However, it is not clear to me that this variable has
to be changed in a single place: it is found in many files.

My question is: was this issue solved and I missed that? If not,
anyone has a clue on how to solve the problem?

Just to make it clear, the GUIs work perfectly locally in the server
computer, that is, if not exported.

Thanks a lot!

Miguel
--
Miguel Ortiz Lombardía
Architecture et Fonction des Macromolécules Biologiques (UMR6098)
e-mail: miguel.ortiz-lombardia at afmb.univ-mrs.fr
Web: http://www.pangea.org/mol/spip.php?rubrique2