[phenixbb] GUI problems

Nathaniel Echols NEchols at lbl.gov
Wed Jul 1 09:20:06 PDT 2009

On Jul 1, 2009, at 7:52 AM, Felix Frolow wrote:
> I have a problem which was communicated some time ago, but I do not
> know
> if it was solved
> I ssh  -X (or -Y) from one Mac to another Mac and trying to activate
> any of phenix gui's I get:
>
> [xray5:phenix.app/Contents/Resources] felixfrolow% phenix2
> This program needs access to the screen.
> Please run with 'pythonw', not 'python', and only when you are logged
> in on the main display of your Mac.

This only works with programs written for X-windows - but the Mac
versions of the Phenix GUIs use wxPython, which wraps native controls,
specifically, the Carbon API, which unlike X11 doesn't support
redirecting display over the network.  You need to use a program like
Remote Desktop or VNC to run native Mac apps over the network.

In general, I haven't tested running the GUI over the network very
heavily; I find it difficult to use this way (even on a very fast
network like we have here), especially since 3D graphics are near-
useless.  I would like for the GUI to be able to run processes
remotely, but this is probably not going to happen before the next
official release.

-Nat

Nathaniel Echols
Lawrence Berkeley Lab