[phenixbb] Phaser SAD question

Randy J. Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 24 07:26:41 PST 2009

Dear Peter,

I'm interested in your observation that you get better signal from an
anomalous difference map computed with density-modified phases than you get
with an LLG map using the MR model. Presumably the density modification
just started from the model phases as well? We've never tried that, so
we'll have to look into that. Unfortunately, you can't at the moment start
the LLG completion with a "model" specified through structure factors,
though this is on our to-do list.

With the MR+SAD option, because it is iterative, there are sites found in
subsequent cycles (where the information from some of the anomalous
scatterers has become available) and you end up with a set of reliable
sites that can be significantly larger than the set obtained from the first
LLG map. Does your anomalous difference Fourier with density modified
phases give you a larger apparently reliable substructure than the
iterative completion? You could use phenix.emma to compare the two
substructures and see how much they have in common.

You can indeed give Phaser the set of sites that you got from the anomalous
difference map. One way to choose the cutoff would be to see how deep the
deepest hole is (i.e. how many standard deviations the map goes in the
negative direction), and choose a larger number in the positive direction.
Or you could just use the peaks above 6-7 sigma.

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with this approach, off-line if
you prefer.

Good luck and Happy Christmas!

Randy Read