[phenixbb] Is it possible to do Molecular Replacement for synthesized "small" molecule X-ray data?

Anastassis Perrakis a.perrakis at nki.nl
Tue Dec 8 12:41:34 PST 2009

What a nice molecule according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucurbituril

Did you by any chance crystallize it as a salt? In the previous century,
this happened to me with a cyclodextrin complex that had a Br atom.
The Br was visible in the native patterson, and that had at the time
triggered my interest in 'ARP' that was soon after to become 'ARP/wARP'.

If there is a chance for a 'heavy' atom there, use it!

Looking at the molecule I would expect a cloud of solutions in MR, all
pretty good but every ~50 degrees
on gamma, given the cyclic molecule, if I got the structure right. So,
you would have no 'unique' solution.
However, putting any of the top solutions in 'ARP/wARP map improvement
by free atoms addition and deletion' should/could yield
a good map with 1.5 A data.

Apologies for the non-phenix shameless self-promoting plugin, but I
think you might find this actually useful.

Tassos