[phenixbb] Are sigma cutoffs for R-free reflections cheating?

Phil Jeffrey pjeffrey at princeton.edu
Fri Dec 4 10:06:49 PST 2009

That's not the point, at least not the way I read this.

Weak reflections with Intensity < 0 get set to |F|=0 by CCP4's Truncate
with the TRUNCATE NO set (in script files, it's called something else in
CCP4i).  That's not the same as a Missing Reflection.  Ergo the fact
that F=0 means that it is weak, but with some even larger uncertainty
than it was measured with, since you don't know how negative I/sigI was.
  Nevertheless this does contain information as to the ballpark of
reflection magnitude.

A non-default option to include this data would be desirable
(reprocessing it with TRUNCATE YES being even more desirable).

Phil Jeffrey
Princeton