[phenixbb] low resolution data/parameter ratio

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Fri Aug 14 14:39:14 PDT 2009

Hi Gerwald,

- I'm not aware of any systematic study on this matter (and even if
there is one I'm sure it would be specific to particular software): they
are all planned as part of further automation of phenix.refine so the
appropriate refinement strategy is chosen automatically based on the inputs.

- At your resolution I would try a range of possible refinement
strategies. In the end it's not that bad to run an array of 5-10
refinement jobs and see which one works best in your particular case. In
the absence of systematic study results, to me this strategy is better
than shaking the air with speculations -:)

1: individual coordinates + individual ADP + TLS;
2: torsion angle refinement of individual coordinates + individual ADP +
TLS;
3: individual coordinates + group ADP with one or two refinable B per
residue + TLS;
4: torsion angle refinement of individual coordinates + group ADP with
one or two refinable B per residue + TLS;

Of course, you may want to run it with target weights optimization (at
least at the final refinement stage). Check for NCS and use it if
available (main.ncs=true).

Make sure you correctly (optimally) define TLS groups. Use TLSMD for
this, and before make sure the B-factors are sensible (to do so, run a
cycle of group B-factor refinement only).

Pavel.