[phenixbb] Question about overall_best history

Tom Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Thu Nov 20 08:03:08 PST 2008

Hi Mo,

Solve does have the option of using a cluster scattering factor
instead of the Ta by itself, but I haven't found it to be that useful
overall (you can't access this from within the autosol wizard but you
can with "phenix.solve", running it with a standard solve script).
Basically with the cluster compounds you have almost no phasing at a
certain resolution (about 4.5 A or so) no matter what you do. The
cluster scattering factor in principle accounts for this better than
just using a Ta.  I think the reason the Ta occupancies and B factors
are still somewhat ok is that at lower resolutions a single-atom model
is not so far off, and you may not have full occupancy of the cluster
compound.

All the best,
Tom T