[phenixbb] effect of solvent fraction on density modification/solvent flattening for a membrane protein

Thomas C. Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Wed May 28 18:35:55 PDT 2008

Hi Pascal,

It sounds to me as though there is indeed 1 molecule and 6 sites to be
found in your structure.  The autosol wizard may look for 14 sites but if
there are only 6 good ones it should stick with those, as it seems to have
done.

The solvent fraction does affect the density modification step. However
the difference between using a value of 50% or 70% will make only a small
difference in the final phases, as the solvent boundary mask is a
probabilistic one, so that there is no sharp cutoff at 50% or 70% of the
asymmetric unit.

If your final map shows helical density, then you might try running the
AutoBuild wizard with the flag helices_strands_only=True . This forces the
building to stick with secondary structure, which I am guessing is all
that it will be able to build of your model. The model-building of the
secondary structure with this flag set can be much better than standard
secondary-structure model-building with the AutoBuild wizard at lower
resolutions such as yours.

All the best,
Tom T