[phenixbb] Postodoctoral Position - Berkeley California
PDAdams at lbl.gov
Mon Jul 14 08:06:34 PDT 2008
The Berkeley Center for Structural Biology (BCSB) has an opportunity
for a Postdoc to develop hardware and software for the automated
control of data collection instrumentation and methods for automated
data collection and analysis. You will also provide technical and
scientific help to users at the BCSB beamlines (http://bcsb.lbl.gov)
at the Advanced Light Source in Berkeley California and participate on
projects involving the structure determination of biological molecules
and biomolecular complexes as required by users and other BCSB staff
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, you will:
- Assist in the development of hardware and software for the automated
of data collection instrumentation and methods for automated data
- Participate in engineering projects to advance the capabilities of the
beamlines, including robotics systems for sample handling.
- Assist in the development of instrumentation and methodology for
- Participate in the design, implementation, and evaluation of
experiments involving biological crystallography.
- Participate in helping users regarding data collection, processing,
archiving, and analysis.
- Collaborate with colleagues both internal and external to the
Prepare documentation for beamline staff and users.
- Prepare scientific data for publication in refereed journals and
findings at seminars and conferences.
- Provide work oversight and direction to technical staff as needed
require occasional work off-hours and weekends).
- Assist with developing research proposals that lead to continued
the area of biological crystallography for the BCSB/ALS.
- A recent Ph.D. in physics, biology, bioengineering, biophysics, or
- Experience working in the area of synchrotron science using complex
instrumentation and computer controls.
- Experience with robotics hardware and control systems.
- Experience with the collection of experimental data for biological
- Demonstrated ability to conduct independent research and organize
publication and presentation documented by publication record in
physics, biology, bioengineering, biophysics, biochemistry or
- Excellent written communication skills along with strong
analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in the use of computer programs required for biological
- The ability to work in a team environment and effectively interact
with a broad
range of colleagues.
- Experience in UNIX computing is highly preferred.
This is a one year Term appointment with the possibility of renewal
under the same terms and conditions, contingent upon continued funding
and availability of work.
How To Apply
To apply please visit:
Berkeley Lab is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer
committed to the development of a diverse workforce.
Deputy Division Director, Physical Biosciences Division, Lawrence
Adjunct Professor, Department of Bioengineering, U.C. Berkeley
Vice President for Technology, the Joint BioEnergy Institute
Head, Berkeley Center for Structural Biology
Building 64, Room 248
Tel: 1-510-486-4225, Fax: 1-510-486-5909
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
1 Cyclotron Road
Berkeley, CA 94720, USA.
Administrator: Delia Clark [ DNClark at lbl.gov ][ 1-510-486-6331 ]
More information about the phenixbb