[phenixbb] PHENIX on OS X Intel 10.5 "need access to screen" error

Paul Adams PDAdams at lbl.gov
Wed Jul 9 19:45:20 PDT 2008

Hi Ben,

   /usr/local being read-only shouldn't be a problem. However, I have
vague memories of another OSX nfs attribute causing problems (more to
do with permissions for access). If you don't see something odd in
the exports or mount list then this is probably not relevant.
   My guess is that you are correct about a case sensitive bug in
wxPython causing this problem. When I get time I can test this on our
systems here. We will also most likely move over to the latest
version of wxPython in the near future which maybe resolves the problem.

   Cheers,
	Paul

On Jul 7, 2008, at 1:40 PM, Ben Eisenbraun wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
>>    Is the NFS volume mounted read-only or could there be permissions
>> somehow associated with the mount? I remember that we did have an
>> issue at some point to do with the way that drives were mounted on
>> OSX but the details escape me.
>
> The NFS volume is mounted read-only.  Will this be a problem?
> Wouldn't
> /usr/local usually be read-only for a regular user?
>
> A little recap, since the situation has changed slightly since my
> original post.  I used the source installer on a 10.5 Mac to
> install to
> our NFS directory.  This worked fine on PPC, resulting in a build that
> runs on both 10.4 and 10.5 PPC machines.
>
> On the Intel side, it didn't work at all for either 10.4 or 10.5.
> They
> both return this error:
>
> This program needs access to the screen.
> Please run with 'pythonw', not 'python', and only when you are logged
> in on the main display of your Mac.
>
> I tried the suggested change from python to pythonw by putting
> 'pythonw'
> in the LIBTBX_PYEXE_BASENAME variable in:
>
> programs/i386-mac/phenix/1.3-rc2/phenix-1.3-rc2/build/mac-intel-osx/
> bin/phenix
>
> Which actually fixed the 10.4 machine, but still returns the "needs
> access" error on 10.5 Intel Macs.  I did a few clean installs from
> source to NFS directories on the 10.5 machine to make sure I wasn't
> overlooking something simple, but they all fail in this manner.
>
> Any ideas?  wxPython bug?  Weirdo interaction with NFS?  I think I'm
> leaning towards a bug in wxPython triggered by the case sensitive file
> system, but I haven't taken the time to write a test case that I could
> use to verify that.
>
> -ben
>
> --
> Ben Eisenbraun
> Structural Biology Grid                           Harvard Medical
> School
> http://sbgrid.org                                 http://
> hms.harvard.edu

Paul Adams
Deputy Division Director, Physical Biosciences Division, Lawrence
Berkeley Lab
Adjunct Professor, Department of Bioengineering, U.C. Berkeley
Vice President for Technology, the Joint BioEnergy Institute
Head, Berkeley Center for Structural Biology

Building 64, Room 248
Tel: 510-486-4225, Fax: 510-486-5909
http://cci.lbl.gov/paul

Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory