[phenixbb] picking Rfree set

David Garboczi dgarboczi at niaid.nih.gov
Tue Jan 22 09:48:41 PST 2008

So, for instance, when addition of a ligand to a P212121 cell (1 mol)
changes the symmetry to P21 (almost same cell, but 2 mol), the
selection of the Rfree set from the P21 data by phenix.refine will
take the higher almost symmetry into account?

Dave

>btw3: the lattice symmetry is taken into account when choosing an free
>set in phenix.refine (unless specified otherwise). If all NCS
>rotational operators are approximately parallel to twin laws, you
>should be fine.

>2008/1/22, Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve <rwgk at cci.lbl.gov>:
>>  > Does phenix.refine take NCS into account when picking the Rfree set?
>>  > Thin shells, or other strategy...
>>
>>  The short answer is no.
>>  We had long internal discussions about this without reaching a final
>>  conclusion. In the long run we may integrate alternative R-free set
>>  distributions in phenix.refine; in the meantime you have to use
>>  an external program (e.g. dataman or sftools).
>>  BTW 1: just to prove that we have thought about this subject, we have a
>>  simple tool for "visualizing" distributions of R-free flags:
>>    iotbx.r_free_flags_accumulation your.mtz
>>  It writes a file with x,y pairs which you can plot with e.g. Excel
>>  or any other 2D plotting program.
>>  BTW 2: The free reflections aren't as free as one may think. When
>>  using a maximum likelihood target (any program), the free reflections
>>  are used in the estimatation of the error model. This estimation
>>  becomes more tricky if the reflections are distributed in thin
>>  shells. I.e. if you go to thin shells you may in fact account to some
>>  degree for the NCS, but at the same time you compromise the error
>>  model estimation.
>>  Ralf

David N. Garboczi, PhD
Phone: 301-496-4773
Investigator, Structural Biology Section (SBS)
Laboratory of Immunogenetics (LIG)
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Twinbrook 2/Room 110
12441 Parklawn Drive
Rockville, Maryland 20852-1742
Fax:    301-402-0284
Email: dgarboczi at niaid.nih.gov

The information in this e-mail and any of its attachments is
confidential and may contain sensitive information. It should not be
used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient.  If you have
received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete it
from your mailbox or any other storage devices.  The National Institute
of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)  shall not accept liability
for any statement made that are the sender's own and not expressly made
on behalf of the NIAID by one of its representatives.