[phenixbb] Clashes problem

Luca Jovine luca.jovine at biosci.ki.se
Mon Feb 11 07:26:49 PST 2008

Hi,

We have experienced the same problem, and what seems to work very
well is the following procedure:

1) Add hydrogens to your rebuilt model with phenix.reduce:

	phenix.reduce input.pdb > input_h.pdb

2) Minimise the geometry of the protonated model from 1) withOUT X-
ray term with:

	phenix.geometry_minimization --max-iterations=N input_h.pdb

using a relatively low number of iterations N. You must determine
this empirically by trying out a few possibilities, and chosing the
highest number of iterations that improves your Molprobity clash
score without over-minimising the model, as evidenced by loss of
secondary structure. N=100 is a good guess.

3) Feed the geometry-minimised model to phenix.refine, as usual:

	phenix.refine input_h_geometry_minimized.pdb ...

As Peter pointed out, this is generally an issue that one encounters
at early stages of refinement, when models are still poor; therefore,
in most cases you will need to mimimise geometry just once, or during
the first cycles of rebuilding only.

HTH,

Luca

Luca Jovine, Ph.D.
Karolinska Institutet
Department of Biosciences and Nutrition
Hälsovägen 7, S-141 57 Huddinge, Sweden
Voice: +46.(0)8.6083-301  FAX: +46.(0)8.6089-290
E-mail: luca.jovine at ki.se
W3: http://www.biosci.ki.se/groups/ljo/