[phenixbb] Question abount B-factor refinement - B-factors = 0

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Mon Feb 4 13:17:35 PST 2008

Hi Carsten,

> 1.The maps look great for the residues were some of the B-factors are 0.

To me it looks very weird. I have no explanation for this. Again, this
goes to the point where I need to play with the refinement myself to be
able to say more.

> 3. OK, I'll play around with that. Any idea what target I should use? Minimize R-free or   just push all Bs above 0?
>
> Does anyone know a publication which covers theoretical B-factor distributions?

Here are a few links related to your question that came to my mind first:

D. E. Tronrud
J. Appl. Cryst. (1996). 29, 100-104
Knowledge-Based B-Factor Restraints for the Refinement of Proteins

F. L. Hirshfeld
Acta Cryst. (1976). A32, 239-244
Can X-ray data distinguish bonding effects from vibrational smearing?

S. PARTHASARATHY AND M.R.N. MURTHY
Analysis of temperature factor distribution
in high-resolution protein structures
Protein Science (1997), 6:2561-2567.

http://www.ysbl.york.ac.uk/ccp4bb/2003/msg00432.html

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0801&L=ccp4bb&T=0&F=&S=&P=52510