[phenixbb] Refining with NCS

Tom Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Mon Aug 25 12:46:33 PDT 2008

Hi Francis,

If you are using autobuild, then it will by default identify the NCS
and build into a NCS-based density-modified map.  If you build by
hand, I'd recommend the same map anyhow, because this map has
automatically adjusted weighting on the NCS, so that regions that do
not show the NCS should not be averaged (much) and those that do show
NCS are more NCS-averaged in the density modification procedure.  I
think if you use the 2Fo-Fc map it will not be adjusted for NCS, but
rather will show a standard map.  This map may also be useful to
consult to verify what parts of the structure really are different in
different NCS copies.

-Tom T

Thomas C. Terwilliger
Mail Stop M888
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, NM 87545

Tel:  505-667-0072                 email: terwilliger at LANL.gov
Fax: 505-665-3024                 SOLVE web site: http://solve.lanl.gov
PHENIX web site: http:www.phenix-online.org
ISFI Integrated Center for Structure and Function Innovation web site: http://techcenter.mbi.ucla.edu
TB Structural Genomics Consortium web site: http://www.doe-mbi.ucla.edu/TB