[phenixbb] "unlimit" command with Phenix GUI -unlimit: descriptors: Can't remove limit (Invalid argument)

hari jayaram harijay at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 15:09:03 PDT 2008

Hi I am giving new  to Phenix and the Phenix GUI. For starters  I am trying
to run the prime and switch strategy in Phenix.

I know all my inputs are fine (see below)  but the program aborts ( GUI
turns red ) after a few seconds.

I checked the resolve.com file in the directory and it has a command
"unlimit" which in Leopard causes the following output to be echoed to the
stdout
"unlimit: descriptors: Can't remove limit (Invalid argument)"

Once I deleted the unlimit command I can run the script just fine from a
shell.

My question is how can I tweak the Phenix GUI so that I dont have to run
everything from the shell by manually editing the resolve.com file.
The script that stops the GUI is reproduced here.
Thanks for your help

Hari Jayaram
Postdoc , Brandeis University

script:

#!/bin/csh
setenv SOLVEDIR /usr/local/phenix-1.3b-rc6/solve_resolve/ext_ref_files
setenv SOLVEBIN
/usr/local/phenix-1.3b-rc6/build/mac-intel-osx/solve_resolve/exe

#
setenv CCP4_OPEN UNKNOWN
setenv SYMOP $SOLVEDIR/symop.lib
unlimit
#

$SOLVEBIN/resolve<<EOF
access_file mirima.dat
labin  FP=F_s3-3 FC=FC PHIC=PHIC FOM=FOM FWT=FWT
hklin resolve_input.mtz
mask_cycles 5
minor_cycles 10
hklout testpms-resolve.mtz
no_build
prime_and_switch

EOF

unlimit returns------------>

[mango:hj/s3-3/prime_switch] hari% unlimit
unlimit: descriptors: Can't remove limit (Invalid argument)