[phenixbb] unintellible font

Michael Sawaya sawaya at mbi.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 28 19:23:07 PDT 2007

Dear Phenixbb,

My recent installation of Phenix completed successfully,
but the font in the Phenix graphics window is
replaced by little rectangles.   So, I cannot read any of the menus.
Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

I just installed phenix-1.3b-d7-intel-linux-2.6 on our
Linux machine 2.6.19-1.2911.fc6 i686

During installation, the following warning is reported :
> (pango-querymodules:17819): Pango-WARNING **: Engine reported invalid
> script value 56
> (pango-querymodules:17819): Pango-WARNING **: Engine reported invalid
> script value 63
> (pango-querymodules:17819): Pango-WARNING **: Engine reported invalid
> script value 64
> updating fonts/local.conf file
> running mkfontdir
> rebuilding font cache
> fc-cache: symbol lookup error: fc-cache: undefined symbol:
> FcConfigNormalizeFontDir
>
> generating index.theme file

And I also get the following message when executing phenix

>         Shell variable RSH_PATH not set
> Error reading Pango modules file
>
> (python:26803): Pango-WARNING **: pango_shape called with bad font,
> expect ugly output
> (python:26803): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_glyph_extents called
> with null font argument, expect ugly output
> (python:26803): Pango-WARNING **: pango_font_get_metrics called with
> null font argument, expect ugly output
> (python:26803): Pango-WARNING **: _pango_cairo_font_install called
> with bad font, expect ugly output

Thank you for any help you can give.

Mike Sawaya