[phenixbb] wxu scale in phenix.refine

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Tue Sep 18 09:45:57 PDT 2007

Yes, I'm copying the response for exactly the same question that I wrote
a week ago or so...

Part 1:

Playing with wxu_scale is how you change the strength of ADP restraints
in all cases except when you do combined "TLS+individual ADP"
refinement. In order to make the TLS refinement very robust and
efficient we re-refined ~350 TLS containing structures from PDB
performing the grid search for wxu_scale parameter and we found some
"optimal" values for wxu_scale as a function of resolution. We use these
values in automatic adjustment that you are mentioning. So currently
there is no way you can turn off this adjustment; however I realize that
users may want to play with wxu_scale themselves and skip the
adjustments so I will provide this option in future.

Part 2:

As a possible solution to keep going now you can try this two-step
refinement:
step 1: Refine your model with default strategy
(strategy=individual_sites+individual_adp) making sure that the ADP
restraints are tight enough (play with wxu_scale) to produce the
B-factors distribution that you like.
step 2: Refine the best model out of "step 1" with the
strategy=individual_sites+group_adp+tls. This will preserve the
distribution of B-factors in the model from "step 1" and will add TLS
model on top of it.

Please let me know if you have any questions/problems!
Pavel.