[phenixbb] "Aromatic" question

William Scott wgscott at chemistry.ucsc.edu
Wed Oct 10 07:03:34 PDT 2007

Oh, the other thing I noticed, when I made 5-bromo-uracil (5BU), was that
elbow.builder failed to put in planar restraints at the bottom of the cif
file. I had to do this manually, or the ring looked puckered.  Fortunately
it was fairly easy to do:

loop_
_chem_comp_plane_atom.comp_id
_chem_comp_plane_atom.plane_id
_chem_comp_plane_atom.atom_id
_chem_comp_plane_atom.dist_esd
5BU       plan      N1        0.020
5BU       plan      C2        0.020
5BU       plan      O2        0.020
5BU       plan      N3        0.020
5BU       plan      C4        0.020
5BU       plan      O4        0.020
5BU       plan      C5        0.020
5BU       plan      C6        0.020
5BU       plan      C1*       0.020
5BU       plan      H3        0.020
5BU       plan      BR        0.020
5BU       plan      H6        0.020

This keeps the six membered ring and the exocyclic functional groups (two
keto oxygens and one Br atom) constrained to a plane.