[phenixbb] Death by Big-ass structure

Peter Zwart PHZwart at lbl.gov
Fri May 25 10:25:05 PDT 2007

After you have installed phenix-1.3, try this

make a file named reindex.def that looks like this:

xmanip{
  input{
    unit_cell="80 80 130 90 90 120"
    space_group=R3:H
    xray_data
    {
      file_name=porin.cv
      labels=SIGMA
      label_appendix=None
      name = None
    }
    xray_data
    {
      file_name=porin.cv
      labels=TEST
      label_appendix=None
      name = None
    }
    model{
      file_name=porin.pdb
    }
  }
  parameters{
    action = *reindex operator manipulate_pdb xray_algebra
    reindex{
      standard_laws = *niggli reference_setting invert user_supplied
      user_supplied_law='h,k,l'
    }
  }
  output{
    logfile=xmanip.log
    hklout=xmanip.mtz
    xyzout=xmanip.pdb
  }
}

If you use mtz files, there is no need to give unit cell or space
group info, they will be picked up automatically.  Supply your pdb
file as well please.
Note that there are two xray_data scopes. You can add your free flag
here, and add additional scopes if you desire to place for instance
hendrickson lattman coefficients (they will be reindexed as well).

Labels should be unique identifiers for 'natural data groups', i.e.
for reading in columns FOBS,SIGFOBS,TEST, you only need to read in the
FOBS,SIGFOBS and TEST datasets.
unique labels might be S and T .

The action is in this case reindex, use the niggli operator to go to R3.

when you input file is done, run

phenix.python $PHENIX/mmtbx/mmtbx/xmanip.py reindex.def

This will produce new mtz and pdb files in the reindexed cell/space
group. Using this setting in phenix.refine will reduce memory
consumtion significantly and might speed up refinement.
Coot can handle refinement in this setting.
When you are ready for submission, just transform the lot back to what
you have by using the law 'reference_setting'

HTH

Peter