[phenixbb] NCS weighting

Tom Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Tue Mar 27 14:13:01 PDT 2007

Hi Jianghai,

Pavel and I have spent a lot of time on this with a systematic study
of NCS in refinement, without reaching a final answer, but with some
observations. The bottom line:  for most applications tight ncs works
pretty well.  It is very difficult to define the best NCS weighting,
and there are not that many cases where loose restraints (e.g., 0.5
A  of 1.0 A  instead of 0.05 A) do that much good.  It is also not so
clear that the NCS restraints are generally making a very positive
difference (in free R).

Experiences from yourself and others would be useful to hear!

-Tom T

At 02:38 PM 3/27/2007, Jianghai Zhu wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am wondering how the NCS weighting in phenix.refine works.  I
>guess the default values (coordinate_sigma = 0.05, b_factor_weight =
>10) are pretty tight.  What kind values would be appropriate for
>medium and loose NCS?
>
>Jianghai
>
>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>Jianghai Zhu, Ph.D
>CBR Institute for Biomedical Research
>Department of Pathology
>Harvard Medical School
>200 Longwood Ave., Boston, MA 02115
>Ph: 617-278-3211
>Fx: 618-278-3232

Thomas C. Terwilliger
Mail Stop M888
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, NM 87545

Tel:  505-667-0072                 email: terwilliger at LANL.gov
Fax: 505-665-3024                 SOLVE web site: http://solve.lanl.gov
PHENIX web site: http:www.phenix-online.org
ISFI Integrated Center for Structure and Function Innovation web
site: http://techcenter.mbi.ucla.edu
TB Structural Genomics Consortium web site: http://www.doe-mbi.ucla.edu/TB