[phenixbb] The performance of phenix.refine

Jianghai Zhu jzhu at cbr.med.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 22 07:02:00 PDT 2007

Hi,

Did anybody actually compare the performance among phenix.refine, CNS
and refmac5?  I am trying the phenix.refine from the latest CCI
bundle for my refinement.  I have a relative large structure (800 kD
unique) and unit cell (140, 160, 550, 90, 90, 90).  The data is at
low resolution ( 3.8 A) with experimental phases.  My impression is
that phenix.refine takes a much longer time to finish the jobs, say
rigid body refinement or SA refinement, and it also takes a lot more
memories ( in my case, phenix.refine uses more than 700 MB, but other
programs use less than 200 MB).  Is this because the python code in
phenix.refine? CNS and refmac5 are written in FROTRAN, I think.  Just
curious.

Jianghai

Jianghai Zhu, Ph.D
CBR Institute for Biomedical Research