[phenixbb] covalently modified proteins

Nigel W. Moriarty nwmoriarty at lbl.gov
Fri Mar 16 10:41:49 PDT 2007

Marcelo

Covalently bound ligands is an active area at the moment.  It is
possible using the latest CCI-Apps and the interface will improve in the
near future.

If you have a modified amino acid in the PDB which contains the rest of
the protein and you have modified the residue name (or in the near
future, you have non-standard atoms in the modified residue) you can run

elbow.builder protein_modified_amino.pdb --do-all

which will scan the PDB file for residues it does not recognise and
generate a restraints library.  You can then

phenix.refine data.mtz protein_modified_amino.pdb elbow.XXX.all.cif

to tell the refinement about the restrains for your modified amino
acid.  The refinement attempts to  include the modified amino acid in
the backbone based on the atom names (C, N, CA, O).  You should check
that this occurs and let me know in the event that it fails.

I'm also working on a scheme were by you can have the modified amino
acids in other formats.

Nigel