[phenixbb] Using the Same Test Set in AutoBuild and Phenix.Refine

Dale Tronrud det102 at uoxray.uoregon.edu
Fri Dec 28 16:56:16 PST 2007

Dear Pavel,

Pavel Afonine wrote:
> Hi Dale,
>
> 1) Why you specify reflection MTZ file twice in phenix.refine script?

    I put the mtz in twice because if I put it in once phenix.refine
complains that I have no free R flags.  It seems to want one file with
the amplitudes and another with the flags.  Since I have both in the
same file I put that file on the line twice and phenix.refine finds
everything it needs.

> 2) Try exactly the same Autobuild and phenix.refine runs but without any
> resolution limits. Is it still crashing in this case? The guess is that
> it could be a bug somewhere that causes MD5 calculation on processed
> data file (with resolution cutoffs applied) and then this "wrong" MD5
> record goes into overall_best.pdb and causes inconsistency when compared
> with native 1M50-2.mtz when you start phenix.refine. Again, this is just
> a guess...

    If the MD5 hash of the test set depends on the resolution then certainly
I could be in trouble.  phenix.autobuild does seem to have a problem passing
my resolution limits down to phenix.refine so that program incorrectly
uses all the data in the mtz.  In my manual run of phenix.refine I give it
the proper resolution limits.  That is one reason I want to run some
additional refinement before heading off to Coot.

    Does the resolution limit affect the MD5 hash of the test set?

> 3) Does this work:
>
> a)
> phenix.refine MR.1-protein.pdb 1M50-2.mtz output.prefix=junk
> phenix.refine junk_001.pdb 1M50-2.mtz
>
> b)
> phenix.refine MR.1-protein.pdb 1M50-2.mtz output.prefix=junk
> xray_data.high_res=2.2 xray_data.low_res=20
> phenix.refine junk_001.pdb 1M50-2.mtz
>
> c)
> phenix.refine MR.1-protein.pdb 1M50-2.mtz output.prefix=junk
> phenix.refine junk_001.pdb 1M50-2.mtz xray_data.high_res=2.2
> xray_data.low_res=20

    I'll try these but it will take a bit of time.