[phenixbb] How do I gather the pieces after AutoBuild?

Dale Tronrud det102 at uoxray.uoregon.edu
Wed Dec 26 23:19:45 PST 2007

Dear Tom,

    I was about to write an answer to my own letter since I have a
solution, but I don't understand it.

    I have a molecular replacement solution in which each molecule
is compact and the two copies are right next to each other.
AutoBuild is tearing pieces out and scattering them about symmetry
space, although most of both molecules stay in the same place.

    My solution that fixes this problem and keeps the molecules
together?  Remove the methinone that the sequence file has as
the first residue.  The first 8 or 9 residues of this molecule
are disordered in both the original crystal and this crystal.
I was using the DNA sequence as the source for the amino acid
sequence but I believe the Met is removed post-translationally.
The first run had the Met and AutoBuild built molecules with
some parts far removed from the majority of the two peptides.
The second run had the Met removed from the sequence file,
and as far as I recall nothing else changed, and this produced
a proper model.

    Could this be a consequence of the sequence renumbering required
by the differing alignments?

    I'm moving on with this model.

Dale