[phenixbb] estimated coordinate error

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Wed Aug 1 12:05:52 PDT 2007

Hi Jianghai,

I do not know what Refmac uses to get this estimations (I have some
ideas but I prefer to refrain from such delicate guessing) and we never
did systematic comparisons. phenix.refine estimates a coordinate error
as described in:

1) V.Yu., Lunin & T.P., Skovoroda. Acta Cryst. (1995). A51, 880-887.
"R-free likelihood-based estimates of errors for phases calculated from
atomic models"

2) V.Y., Lunin, P.V. Afonine & A.G., Urzhumtsev. Acta Cryst. (2002).
A58, 270-282. "Likelihood-based refinement. I. Irremovable model errors"

The formula is actually in the second paper, but to get a general
overview look at both papers.

This error estimation is more or less ok for "relatively high"
resolution structures towards  the "end" of refinement. Bulk solvent
correction must be turned on as well.

Pavel.