[phenixbb] Problem with remotely displaying PHENIX

Paul D. Adams PDAdams at lbl.gov
Thu Jun 1 07:15:19 PDT 2006

Hi Luca,

   I think this is an issue of how you start your ssh session to the
remote host. Try using ssh -y (or -Y, I can't remember at the minute)
instead of ssh -x and see what happens. I had this problem from a Mac
OS-X machine to Linux before.

   Cheers,
	Paul

Luca Jovine wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> While waiting for a Mac OS X version of PHENIX, I have installed it
> on a Linux server, with the idea of remotely display the GUI on our
> OS X machines. However, when I try to do so, the GUI briefly opens
> and then bombs out with the following message:
>
> LINUX> phenix
>
>          Running the PHENIX GUI with
>                  /home/xray/luca/bin/phenix/phenix-1.1a/phenix-1.1a/
> build/intel-linux/python/bin/python
>
>          PHENIX distribution located in /home/xray/luca/bin/phenix/
> phenix-1.1a/phenix-1.1a/phenix
>

>          Variable SSH_PATH set to /usr/bin/ssh
>
>          Variable PYMOL_PATH set to /home/xray/luca/bin/phenix/
> phenix-1.1a/phenix-1.1a/pymol
>
>          Variable RSH_PATH set to /usr/bin/rsh
>
>          Project Details
>                  Project Name: luca
>                  Date Stamp  : Thu Jun 01 15:56:23 2006
>                  Machine     : localhost
>                  Directory   : /home/xray/luca
>
> PDS Server will be on
>
> ---------- localhost (localhost)
> ---------- /home/xray/luca
> ---------- Port 28537 PID 25355
>
>          PDS Server Details
>                  User      : luca
>                  Machine   : localhost
>                  Directory : /home/xray/luca
>                  Port      : 28537
>                  PID       : 25374
>

> Creating new Data Storage /home/xray/luca/strategies
> The program 'wxPhenix.py' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
>    (Details: serial 6349 error_code 3 request_code 38 minor_code 0)
>    (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
>     that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
>     To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
>     option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
>     backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
> function.)
>
> ...has anyone else encountered the same issue, and, if so, managed to
> solve it?
>
> Thanks in advance and best regards,
>
> Luca

> Luca Jovine, Ph.D.
> Karolinska Institutet
> Department of Biosciences and Nutrition
> Center for Structural Biochemistry (CSB)
> Hälsovägen 7, S-141 57 Huddinge, Sweden
> Voice: +46.(0)8.6083-301  FAX: +46.(0)8.6089-290
> E-mail: luca.jovine at biosci.ki.se
> W3: http://www.biosci.ki.se/groups/ljo/

| Paul Adams                                             |
| Senior Staff Scientist, Physical Biosciences Division  |
| Head, Berkeley Center for Structural Biology           |
| Deputy PI, Berkeley Structural Genomics Center         |
| Building 64, Room 248  | Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, |
| Tel: 510-486-4225      | 1 Cyclotron Road,             |
| FAX: 510-486-5909      | BLDG 64R0121,                 |
| mailto:PDAdams at lbl.gov | Berkeley, CA 94720, USA.      |